Inspiroidu koulutusmaailman tapahtumista ja pysy ajan tasalla hakuajoista tilaamalla kuukausittainen uutiskirjeemme.
Master of Science in Cloud and Network Infrastructures
Why study Cloud and Network Infrastructures at EIT Digital?
Cloud and Network Infrastructuresprovides a comprehensiveview on network and cloud computing. Students will learn to master network management, operation, and design on the one hand and cloud service and deployment models, implementation strategies, and application design on the other. The programme also focuses onfuture directions of cloud computing, for example, in the fields of edge and fog computing as well as blockchains and distributed ledger applications respectively.
Today’s networks are reaching their limit because of an increased number of devices connected to the Internet, rapid traffic growth and quantity of data exchanged online. This led to the physical split of Cloud Computing and networks. By bringing cloud computing closer to the network, the benefits of the next generation of wireless technologies is that of being flexible, safe and cheap. This will allow real-time big data analysis and improved application performance.
The cloudification of networks enables new application fields like smart cities, Industrial Internet of Things, Industry 4.0, autonomous driving and augmented virtual reality. For instance, smart traffic signal will enable traffic lights to work in sync with connected vehicles, so drivers aren’t forced to sit at an empty intersection, waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Furthermore, the set of technical possibilities it offers is so innovative that it will also enable new business models and business opportunities bringing tremendous changes in society overall.
Experts and specialists working in this field need to understand the fundamentals of networking and cloud computing, and they must be capable of making judgements of how innovations in these fields affect existing business models or can create new ones.
EIT Digital Master School offers a unique two-year academic programme, whereby students study Cloud and network Infrastructures, innovation and entrepreneurship at two different leading European universities. At the same time, they also acquire extensive business skills by learning how to bring an innovation to the market and developing a successful business model. These additional entrepreneurial skills will give students their ticket to a successful career.
How is the programme structured?
All EIT Digital Master School programmes follow the same scheme:
- Students study one year at an ‘entry’ university and one year at an ‘exit’ university in two of EIT Digital’s hot spots around Europe.
- Upon completion, graduates receive degrees from the two universities and a certificate awarded by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
- The first year is similar at all entry points with basic courses to lay the foundation for the chosen technical programme focus. Some elective courses may also be chosen. At the same time, students are introduced to business and management. During the second semester, a design project is combined with business development exercises. These teach how to turn technology into business and how to present a convincing business plan.
- In between the first year and the second year, a summer school addresses business opportunities within a socially relevant theme.
- The second year offers a specialisation and a graduation project. The graduation project includes an internship at a company or a research institute and results in a Master thesis with a strong innovation and entrepreneurship dimension.
What are the career opportunities?
More and more companies take advantage of the benefits that cloud networking can provide, and the demand for cloud and network professionals is booming. According to a study conducted by Deloitte for the EU in 2016, 1.6 million jobs could be created and the formation of 303 000 new businesses, in particular SMEs, is expected. Graduates qualify for jobs in international and local organizations in both technical and business roles. Typical titles are:
- Network designers
- Network planners
- ICT managers
- Cloud CTO
- Cloud Software Engineer
- Lead software Developer
- Cloud Service Broker
- Cloud Alliance Manager
- Cloud Infrastructure Architect
- Business developer
- Product manager
Through their multidisciplinary attitude graduates are valuable in open innovation settings where different aspects (market, users, social aspects, media technologies) come together. They easily find jobs within companies that provide value-added products and services, such as telecom companies, e-commerce providers, e-learning, web developers, and cloud operators. An alternative path would be to start your own company to provide product or technology development, media content, business development or consultancy services. They will be able to
- manage and contribute to (open) innovation and intrapreneurship projects and
- evolve later towards managerial positions, as they are experts having a global understanding of complex ICT systems and services, including their impact on businesses
Also, they can start their own company to provide products and services, whether they relate to cloud computing infrastructures or to application domains based on them. They can also offer business development and consultancy services.
Students also qualify for a research and academic career through a follow-up doctoral project.
If you wish to apply to this programme you must have a Bachelor of Science in, or be in your final year of studies of:
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Information Systems
Students should have basic competence in mathematics, theoretical foundations of computer science, algorithms and data structures, software engineering and database systems, computer architectures, computer networks and operating systems.
Kindly note that relevant work experience can compensate a non-strictly matching bachelor degree. Please justify your work experience in your motivation letter or resume. Once your papers are received, the selection committee will make the final decision on whether your bachelor's and work experience are sufficient as prerequisites for the track you have applied for.
Degree / diploma
Master of Science in Cloud and Network Infrastructures
Citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland
- Tuition fees per semester 750 EUR
- Tuition fees per academic year 1500 EUR
Citizen of a Non-EU/EEA country
- Tuition fees per semester 6000 EUR
- Tuition fees per academic year 12 000 EUR